Chief Master Sgt. John W. Symington is the 12th State Command Chief Master Sergeant for the New Hampshire Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Concord, New Hampshire. He is the Air National Guard senior enlisted advisor to the Adjutant General on quality of life issues and concerns of the state’s approximately 1,000 enlisted Airmen. In addition, he acts as liaison with the Assistant Adjutants General for Air and Army, the state Command Chief Warrant Officer, the state Command Sergeant Major, Director of Staff and other staff members on matters of health, welfare, morale, professional development, good order and discipline and the effective employment of the state’s Airmen.
Chief Symington entered the Air Force in April 1981 and graduated from administrative specialist course at Keesler Air Force Base, Miss. in July 1981. His background includes various duties in administrative specialties and military personnel at the unit and N.H. joint forces headquarters level. Throughout his career, he has filled a myriad of roles including administrative specialist, military personnel craftsman, additional duty first sergeant, first sergeant, Joint Force Headquarters personnel superintendent, and lead N.H. National Guard mission assignment coordinator liaison to the State Emergency Operations Center during state emergencies. Chief Symington participated in Operation DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM and deployed to Incirlik Air Base, Turkey in support of Operation NOBLE EAGLE/ENDURING FREEDOM in addition to numerous state activations in support of natural disasters.
Prior to his current position, the Chief was the Group Superintendent for the 157th Mission Support Group, Pease Air National Guard Base, N.H.
1984 NCO Prep Course, Pease Air Force Base, N.H.
1992 NCO Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1997 Leadership and Supervision Certificate, Granite State College, Portsmouth, N.H.
1999 U.S. Air Force Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2002 Associate of Applied Science, Information Management, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2003 U.S. Air Force First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2005 U.S. Air Force Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2006 Associate of Applied Science, Human Resource Mgmt., Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2010 Bachelor of Science, Business (Human Resources), Granite State College, Portsmouth, N.H.
2012 Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) Phase I, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., by correspondence
2013 Joint Domestic Operations Course (JDOC), NORAD USNORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Col., by correspondence
2014 Incident Command Systems 300 Intermediate ICS, N.H Department of Safety, Concord, N.H.
2015 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education (SEJPME), Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 ANG Chiefs Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2018 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II (SEJPME II), Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., by correspondence
2018 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2019 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Institute for Defense and Business, Chapel Hill, N.C.
1. April 1981 – June 1981, United States Air Force Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.
2. June 1981 – July 1981, Administrative Specialist Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. August 1981 – March 1983, Administrative Clerk, 6931st Electronic Security Squadron, Iraklion Air Station, Crete, Greece
4. March 1983 – April 1985, Administrative Clerk, 1916th Communications Squadron, Pease AFB, N.H.
5. May 1985 – May 1986, Administrative Specialist, 157th Resource Management Squadron, Pease AFB, N.H.
6. May 1986 – April 1987, Administrative Specialist, 157th Civil Engineering Squadron, Pease AFB, N.H.
7. April 1987 – December 1987, Administrative Specialist, 157th Combat Support Squadron, Pease AFB, N.H.
8. December 1987 - November 1998, Military Personnel Craftsman, 157th Maintenance Squadron, Pease Air National Guard Base, N.H.
9. November 1998 – April 2003, Personnel Technician, Headquarters N.H. ANG, Concord, N.H.
10. April 2003 – May 2006, First Sergeant, 157th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Pease ANGB, N.H. (March 2004 – May 2004, First Sergeant, 385th Air Expeditionary Group, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey)
11. May 2006 – May 2016, Personnel Manager, Headquarters N.H. ANG, Concord, N.H.
12. May 2016 – July 2019, Group Superintendent, 157th Mission Support Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
13. July 2019 – Present, State Command Chief Master Sergeant, Joint Force Headquarters, Concord, N.H.
MAJOR AWARDS & DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
New Hampshire National Guard State Active Service Ribbon with five devices
New Hampshire National Guard Service Bar with four devices
Louisiana Emergency Service Medal
2004 N.H. ANG First Sergeant of the Year
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Enlisted Association of the National Guard – Active Member
NH State Veterans Advisory Committee – Past Member, Past Secretary
Air Force Sergeants Association – Life Member, Past Chapter President and Senior Advisor
157th Air Refueling Wing Chiefs Group – Active Member, Past Council President
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic Apr. 23, 1981
Airman Oct. 23, 1981
Airman First Class Apr. 23, 1982
Senior Airman Aug. 1, 1984
Sergeant May 1, 1985
Staff Sergeant May 1, 1986
Technical Sergeant May 24, 1988
Master Sergeant May 04, 1994
Senior Master Sergeant Feb. 01, 2000
Chief Master Sergeant Dec. 30, 2008