Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
Brig. Gen. John W. Pogorek is the Assistant Adjutant General for Air, New Hampshire National Guard. Pogorek serves as the principle advisor to the Governor of New Hampshire and the state Adjutant General on all matters pertaining to the New Hampshire Air National Guard. Additionally, Pogorek is responsible for the command, control and operations of plans and programs for over 1,300 officers and airmen located on Pease Air National Guard Base. He is responsible to the Adjutant General for the combat and operational readiness of the New Hampshire Air National Guard and the ability of the 157th Air Refueling Wing to perform its federal and state mission.
Pogorek received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Human Factors Engineering from the United States Air Force Academy, and was commissioned in May 1989. He joined the New Hampshire Air National Guard in January 1999 and transitioned to the KC-135R, and then to the KC-46A Pegasus. During his career, he has served in a myriad of roles, including KC-135R instructor and evaluator pilot, Squadron Director of Operations, 478th Expeditionary Operations Squadron Commander, 506th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron Commander, the 157th Maintenance Group Commander, and the 157th Operations Group Commander. Prior to his current position, he was the commander of the 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease Air National Guard Base, New Hampshire.
1989 Bachelor of Science degree in Human Factors Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Co.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1997 Master of Business Administration, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas
2005 Advanced Instrument School, Randolph AFB, Texas
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Air Force Safety Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2011 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Texas
2015 Safety/Accident Investigation Board President Course, Air Force Safety Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2020 Director of Mobility Forces Course, EOS Det 1, Hurlburt Field, Flori.
1. October 1989 - July 1991, Undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. July 1991 - April 1992, Combat Search & Rescue, HC-130 Pilot, 67th Special Operations Squadron, RAF Woodbridge, U.K.
3. April 1992 - September 1994, Combat Search & Rescue, HC-130 Aircraft Commander, 67th Special Operations
Squadron, RAF Alconbury, U.K.
4. September 1994 - October 1998, T-1A Check Flight Commander, 86th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
5. October 1998 - March 1999, Chief of Standardization/Evaluation, T-1A, 47 Operations Group, Laughlin AFB, Texas 6. March 1999 - November 2004, Director of Mission Development, KC-135R Instructor Pilot, Pease ANGB, N.H.
7. November 2004 - October 2007, Chief Pilot, KC-135R Instructor/ Standardization/Evaluation Pilot, Pease ANGB, N.H.
8. October 2007 - October 2009, Chief of Standardization/Evaluation, KC-135R Evaluator Pilot, Pease ANGB, N.H.
9. October 2009 - October 2010, Operations Officer, 133rd Air Refueling Squadron, Pease ANGB, N.H.
10. October 2010 - June 2011, Deputy Commander, 157th Operations Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
11. June 2011 - October 2015, Commander, 157th Maintenance Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
12. October 2015 - March 2018, Commander, 157th Operations Group, Pease ANGB, N.H.
13. March 2018 - June 2022, Commander, 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease ANGB, N.H.
14. June 2022 - Present, Commander, New Hampshire Air National Guard
Rating: Command Pilot Flight Hours: 6,300+ Aircraft Flown: C-130E, HC130P/N, KC-46A, KC-135R, T-1A, T-37, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and eight oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with six leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with bronze hourglass
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1989
First Lieutenant May 31, 1991
Captain May 31, 1993
Major Oct. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 2007
Colonel Dec.11, 2014
(Current as of November 2020)